Sunday 8 September 2013

Just over 4 months sailing

Time has passed so quickly. We were really awful only a few months back but seem to be getting to grips with things now. We took part in the Greystones Regatta last weekend - 2 races on Sunday last in very challenging conditions where the wind varied in strength from 5 knots to 25 knots (and back) and changed direction by 90 degrees a number of times during the race. There were 30 boats in our fleet and we managed a 3rd and a 2nd giving us 2nd overall. We really felt that we deserved it as we have worked very hard to improve ourselves - getting out hours before the race starts every week and working to get the boat sailing well, questioning, trying, questioning again and so on. We do however know that we need to spend more time on the water if we are really to consistently finish in the top of the fleet. We are still White Sails and will not move on until we master the 2 sails. I love the boat. Warrior now feels like a part of me (not like a boat and driver anymore) and I am confident in her as we move through the fleet and around marks. I know when she is in the groove, overpowered, underpowered by just feeling the way she is sailing, how the helm feels and overall boat stability. I am so glad I bought her. We still work as a crew with the North-U (Trim and Tactics books) as our baseline. I have created a myriad of "systems" to help maximise our capabilities on the race course - I will share these when I find the ones that work best. But in most cases thay are laminates that I use to remind me of wind (and shifts), line position, mark positions, favoured tack, and set up prior to reaching the next mark. I bought the Garmin Montana 600 as a handheld GPS for mark locating (good sturdy set) and we now have a ContourRoam2 camera fitted to the sterm so hopefully we sill have some video to share over the coming posts (hopefully not too embarrassing) To share the overall workload - outside of race time - I have allocated roles: - “The Engineer” Engine and Electronics - “The Rigger” Rig (standing and running) – incl. Clutches Winches and winch-handles, furler – oiled and cleaned - “The Wingman” Sails – incl. battens and sail covers - “The Caretaker” General Boat upkeep – how things are organised inside (chart table, covers, peoples kit boxes, heads, and general internal cleanliness and organisation) And External (lockers, warps, cleaning fluids) – this person will get the team to do their bit at the end of day to help rinse down and every so often to brush underside for speed - “The Organiser” Team management - Race Events and Race days (including the DBSC Weekly) – getting the weather, marks, race instruction, entries, if we decide to get team gear – research etc. Also to include ensuring we have provisions etc. even if only to remind people if we have long days to bring water and sandwich or to remind me from time to time to stock up. Ie Homework upfront and ensuring we have all the right race cards, SIs etc The Dublin Bay summer season has only 3 races left and then we get a break before the winter racing begins - I better start getting the thermals ready. We have had out fair share of breakages already and that was summer sailing - most of the breakages were in gusts over 25knots. Blew the kicker twice (just not quick enough releasing), and the sails make regular visits to Downer Sails (Pauline always deos a great job of getting us back on the water with sails looking stronger than before we did the damage). I booked my hotel for Cork Week (5th to 11th July 2014) earlier today so already getting excited about that.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Dave!

    I admire your drive and ambition, characteristics which I never managed to develop. I'm also more than a touch envious.

    I'm just back in Paris after eight weeks in Spain, Portugal and Morocco. The first day of work is hard!

    Be good!

    ReplyDelete